Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Chinese Chicken Wings/Tofu and Fried Rice

I feel that this heading may be completely fraudulent as I'm not sure if the wings are Chinese and the rice isn't fried but that's what my Mum called these when I was little and the name has stuck.

My family has been eating chicken wings as long as I can remember - whenever there is a family thing on or someone needs to bring a plate to something these chicken wings get brought out.  I haven't ever seen a recipe for them either - I'm not sure if Mum made them up or they are from somewhere - maybe a luridly coloured 80's cookbook that my Mum still has somewhere (where all the food was harisprayed to make it shiny - yuck).

I make these chicken wings when people come over and I am unsure what they will like -everyone likes these (or the vegetarian version I have invented) and several poeple have asked for the recipe.  This meal is also pretty economical even for a crowd - I bought a kilo of chicken wings for $3 on special last week - and apart from the chicken I always have everything needed for them on hand.  I have given approximate weightings below but it is a bit about taste - some might not like the amount of sugar I used or would prefer to use all honey - so trust you eye and your taste.

The rice is my Mum's version of "fried" rice - basically steamed rice, seasoned with mixed veggies and omelette.  Again I haven't ever seen a recipe written down so I have kind of used the EDC method for cooking the rice and the veg and Quirky Cooking's method for the omlette all in the Thermomix - but it's easy to do without - just with a saucepan on the stove top with a steamer and a fry pan (for the omelette).

i make this meal also for my husband (carnivore), myself (pescetarian) and my todeleer.  I have included pictures dwn the bottom about how I served it out.

Chinese Chicken Wings

Ingredients
  • I kilo of chicken wings - jointed into 3 (freeze tips for stock or give them to your cat - you don't them for this recipe)
  • Soy Sauce - 2 tablespoons
  • Chinese 5 Spice Powder - 2 teaspoons
  • Honey - 2 tablespoons
  • Raw Sugar - 2 tablespoons
  • Sesame Seeds - 2 teaspoons

Method
  • Place chicken wings in a roasting tray
  • Sprinkle over all the other ingredients
  • Use your hands to turn the chiken wings in the seasonings
  • Bake in a 180 degress oven for about 30 mins - turning them over half way
  • The sauce should be sticky and making the wings all glossy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chinese Tofu

Ingredients
  • I packet of firm tofu
  • 1 tin of water chestnts
  • Soy Sauce - 2 tablespoons
  • Chinese 5 Spice Powder - 2 teaspoons
  • Honey - 2 tablespoons
  • Raw Sugar - 2 tablespoons
  • Sesame Seeds - 2 teaspoons




Method
  • Place tofu and water chestnuts wings in a roasting tray
  • Sprinkle over all the other ingredients
  • Use your hands to turn the tofu in the seasonings
  • Bake in a 180 degress oven for about 20 mins - turning over half way
  • The sauce should be sticky and making the tofu all glossy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Fried Rice



Ingredients
  • Jasmine Rice - 400 g
  • I carrot - sliced finely into coins
  • Red Cabbage - shredded - 1/2 cup
  • I zucchini sliced into coins
  • 1 ear of corn - cut into 3.
  • Soy Sauce - 2 teaspoons
  • Sesame Oil - 1 - 2 teaspoons
Omelette
  • 2 eggs
  • Soy Sauce - 1 teaspoon
  • White Pepper - to taste
  • Mirin - 1 teaspoon
  • Water - 1 teaspoon





Method


  • Cook rice according to the method you would like to use.  For the Thermomix - it's rinse the rice in the basket, measure in 900g water and place the basket inside the bowl.  Cook on Varoma/16 minutes/Speed 2.
  • Place veggies in a steamer/Varoma basket and cook on top of the rice (I put them on at the same time as I wanted them quite soft for the toddler).
  • When rice has about 7 minutes to go, make the omelette (mix eggs, mirin, black pepper and water - line the Varoma tray with wet, crumpled baking paper and let the omelette steam).  When cooked slice into strips
  • When the rice is cooked turn into a dish Thermoserver and season with the sesame oil and soy sauce, then add the veggies and the omelette - or arrange all the elements separately for new eaters.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Serving Suggestions

 

The Meat Eater

 

The Vegetarian

 

The Toddler

 

The Toddler - the reality

He saw the bread rolls on the kitchen bench and was so not interested in what we had made (in his meal above I also offered a zucchini and cheese puff)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...