My husband loves hamburgers but being vegetarian I have to come up with something for myself that is as easy and tasty. There are some great commercial products available but I find that all of a sudden, the price has gone up on a lot of them and they are as expensive as meat to buy.
This recipe is a cross between Nigella Lawson's burger recipe in Nigella Express and the method from the bean ball recipe in Veganomicon.
You can really use any beans but here is the version I have enjoyed most recently:
- 1 can cannelini beans - rinsed
- 1 tablespoon caramelized onions
- Tamari - to taste
- Worcestershire sauce - to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- Mash the can of beans
- Add the caramelized onions
- Add tamari, Worcestershire, salt and pepper sauce to taste
- Mould into patties and fry. Do not attempt to turn over for awhile or they will break up.
I got three patties out of this amount and they were great reheated under the grill with some ketchup manis for a quick snack. Too easy.