Sunday, April 17, 2011

Menu

I did do a menu for last week but forgot to blog about it - but oh well - here is this weeks.

I used to have a menu planner from stationary shop Kikki K but have used them all up so now I am using a template made by Casey Brown Designs (her blog/website is Casey's Elegant Musings if you would like to find it). It saved as an PDF and I think that she uses it to plan a month of dinners only. I am using to do just a week's menu and am including Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner as usual but am also using the extra spaces to remind myself of things I need to do that day e.g. soak beans. Casey also starts her menu on a Sunday so I will too.

Please also note the return of Mexican Mondays! My brother is visiting and when we used to live together we had Mexican food every Monday. The boys did all the work and it was always great. Very excited!

17.4.11

B - Coffee and fruit salad
L - Vegetable Soup and garlic toasts
D - Standby Porcini Pasta - Donna Hay Fresh, Fast, Simple (p18)

18.4.11

B - Oatmeal and blueberries
L - Chinese Fried Cabbage and Deb - instant mash
D - Mexican Monday (brother visiting and he will cook)

19.4.11

B - Eggs, Toast and Coffee
L - Sandwiches
D - Sushi, Miso and Teriyaki Chicken

20.4.11

B - Fruit and yoghurt
L - Ceaser Salad
D - Whole Baked Brie with a Baguette for dunking (Husband cooking)

21.4.11

B - Breakfast Parfait - based loosely on a Nigella recipe
L - Salad, Soup and Toast
D - Baked Potato with topping (pretty much all the leftovers in the fridge)

22.4.11

B - Toast, Eggs and Coffee
L - Leftovers
D - Roasted Veggies with Haloumi

23.4.11

B - Bagel with cream cheese and kippers
L - will be too full from breakfast
D - Pies with pea puree and gravy.

I have a few food photos to show but not many this week but I do have some other photos to share with you in another post.




This is an example of Jacket Potatos and toppings. I do it maninly because it is easy and you just use leftovers. Here is my husbands and on it I have put: Edamame and corn salad, avocado, bacon, sausage, cheese, sour cream and caramlized onions. I also like it because my husband is a shift worker and gets home when I am ready for bed sometimes and I can just leave the potato in the oven on a low heat and have everything chopped, grated and cooked just to go on top for a few minutes and it's done. It also fills him up - he couldn't eat all the potato but did manage to eat all the toppings.

I also think its great because I can have the same as him minus the meat for the vegetarian version and I am not having to spend time doing separate things or making more washing up for myself. Perfect!




This dish is a result not of careful considered planning but of greed! We went for a picnic to a place with great some great fish co-ops and I wanted to get Balmain or Moreton Bay bugs but there weer none and this looked like the next best thing. Tuna. Two beautiful tuna steaks for $13 - I was pretty impressed.

I rubbed the steaks with a wasabi and soy mixture and then pressed on some sesame seeds and cooked them in a non-stick pan with a bit of extra virgin cooking spray. I am surprised that I did not overcook them and nor were they cold in the middle. I served them with some seasoned sushi rice (done in the rice cooker) and some steamed edamame squeezed from their shells. I put a few drops of sesame oil on top of the tuna and that's it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...